Notes went home today for Grades 3/4/5 students wanting to audition for the Divisional Musical, Junie B. Jones Jr. for the 2018/19 season that will run from September to February. Students must be in St. James to audition. The shows are January 26 - February 2, 2019. This is an auditioned cast of top acting, singing, and dancing students from 21 schools across the Division. Grades 3-5 elementary students wishing to audition must be able to first commit to a weekly rehearsal at Westwood starting in September and several other rehearsals closer to the show. Attendance is mandatory and students are expected to make up any missed rehearsals.
As part of the process, we are going to be selecting students from the first round of auditions at Stevenson on Tuesday, April 17 at lunch. From there, these students can sign up to try out for the second round at Westwood on May 9th and 10th.
Ms. Long and Ms. Rempel will be auditioning students on Tuesday, April 17 from 11:40-12:30 in the music room.
We will have 2 practices prior to this but students are expected to practice at home and be ready for their audition. Families are expected to help and rehearse. Parts should be memorized.
The following things students will need to rehearse for the audition:
- choose 1 character to memorize the script (follow link)
- choose 1 song and memorize (follow link) - Ensemble Songs - You Need Glasses/Show and Tell
- march in the beat and do the box step (we will review at school)
1. in-tune singing
2. voice projection (must be able to be heard)
3. acting (speaking slowly and clearly, in character, expression)
4. stage presence (in character, in control, confidence, conveys the message clearly)
Ms. Long and I will have 2 extra practices for students to come and learn the songs with us and get some acting tips. This will be on Thursday, April 12 at last recess and Monday, April 16 at lunch in the music room.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Ms. Rempel's email
All the best!
Ms. Rempel (music) and Ms. Long (drama)